It is not quite clear how the Club came to be called Greensleeves, but the name must have been chosen either by Cameron (the first squire) himself or by him in consultation with the other four original members before the side started meeting for regular practice. The constitution of "The Greensleeves" as given in the log is unorthodox, but the Club could then be described briefly as consisting of men, members of the English Folk Dance Society (E.F.D.S.), who met regularly and danced English Morris and sword dances. "They are amateurs and have no coach, the motto being 'Destruction not Inscription' ( a Spoonerism for 'Description not Instruction').
This Constitution was amplified in a letter written by Cameron on June 8th 1926, to a potential member "....the idea is to have a private club consisting of men who do not habitually demonstrate for Headquarters, but do know their business up to a decent standard. The theory is that a really good team can be made up of unpretentious individuals if they practice constantly and regularly together ... We do not teach technique to individuals; that is done in the Society's classes. we train teams. At present, anyone who has progressed through all the grades but is not constantly performing in shows for H.Q. find himself at rather a loose end. A private club such as ours ought therefore to be a godsend. The team will find plenty of outlets for its energies, but the idea is that practices are the main thing, shows and competitions merely incidents."
Greensleeves Morris Men